Tuesday, May 10, 2011

11 Days Until First Bikini Contest

I'm 11 days out from my bikini competition, and my life has pretty much been absorbed by thinking, planning for, worrying about, getting excited about, etc., the big day! I have had moments where I am a complete grumpy monster and I can't stand to even LOOK at another human being, let alone speak to them. But today, at this moment, I feel calm. I am confused by this, since yesterday morning I was definitely "The Monster". Maybe my calmness comes from the fact that I just ate Meal #3 of 6 (and I LOVE TO EAT), or maybe it's because I spent extra time this morning focusing on taking deep, conscious breaths ... or maybe this last week prior to the show won't actually be as bad as I'd expected!

On Saturday, I did a fun photo shoot with a photographer named Paul Folk. He was great, very professional but also very kind. We shot at my local gym, so I felt "at home". We used issues of Oxygen and Muscle & Fitness Hers magazines for pose inspiration. Paul has put a bunch of the final (i.e. Photoshopped) images on his website, and I really like them!

Being my typical perfectionist self, I don't think my body is PERFECT in these images... I'd like my waist to shrink a little and my body fat to drop a bit, but overall, I am proud of how far I've come. But with some hard work these next couple weeks, I think I can at least look like I belong on the bikini competition stage, even if I likely won't place.

*Update Post-Competition*

Here are some pictures from my May 24 competition, the Fitness New Mexico.

Here is my competitor number, which is pinned to your bikini.


Here is me with hair and makeup done by the professionals! I did look and feel a bit drag-queen-ish. But it looks good onstage under the bright lights. Next time I don't think I'll wear hair extensions; I'll go for a more natural, "me" look.


Here I am in my suit! As you can see, I needed to be leaner for this competition. I didn't really understand this reality until post-competition. For next time, I'll be more prepared. I am just happy to have survived my first show!



No comments: